Casual or Drop-in: $18
5 x Class Pass: $80
10 x Class Pass: $145
Monthly Pass: $220
Frequently asked questions:
1. Where is The Ashtanga Room located? You can find The Ashtanga Room Yoga in Byron Bay's Arts & Industrial Park, which is about 2 km North of Byron Bay town centre. (See map provided above)
2. What do I wear? Come in comfortable clothing that will not inhibit your movements.
3. What do I need to bring with me? We provide mats and blankets, so all you need to do is show up and the rest will fall into place. In the warmer months, you may find that a small towel will be handy!
4. Can I come if i've never done yoga before? Yes, of course! Everyone of us has had a first yoga class - and often times the hardest thing about this practice is turning up! Our goal at The Ashtanga Room is to share this beautiful yoga practice with as many people as possible - so bring a friend too!
5. Does it matter if i'm not flexible? It can look like being flexible is a prerequisite to practicing yoga - but the practice is safe and accessible for even the stiffest or tightest of bodies. You can describe the practice as breathing with movement - however little or far you move is ok!
6. Can I pay with Credit Card? We don't have any eftpos facilities at the studio so please bring cash for payment. We do have a PayPal option linked to our email address firstname.lastname@example.org
7. I don't live in Byron Bay. Can I still come to classes, if i'm only visiting? Yes, of course! You can come to any yoga class in Byron, for the Drop-in rate of $15. Or if you are staying for a week or so, you could take advantage of our 5 x Class Pass.
8. What is the difference between a Led Ashtanga Yoga Class and a Mysore Style Yoga Class? Led Ashtanga yoga classes are the more recognisable style of class, where the teacher talks all of the students, together, through the poses for the entire class. Great for learning the correct sequencing of poses, the correct method of breathing and technical aspects to improve balance and coordination.
An Ashtanga Mysore Style class is a little different to what most of us are used to when we go a Yoga class. As taught in Mysore, India, there is no yoga teacher standing at the front of the room, instructing all of the student simultaneously (except on Fridays, when we practice Led Primary). The student is shown the sequence individually and the students then practice at their own individual pace and level. The teacher/student relationship is nourished and your yoga practice really becomes your own.
9. How many Yoga classes should I do in a week? In the tradition of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, the practice of Ashtanga Yoga is undertaken 6 days a week, observing rest days on Full Moon and New Moon. Students practice the sequence under the guidance of their teacher, who will safely and progressively move them through the practice observing steadiness in each pose and quality of breath before moving forward.
When you first begin the practice of Ashtanga yoga, you might like to come to 2-4 classes a week, to get your body used to moving. From our own experience, we would highly recommend integrating a full-time yoga practice into your life. The benefits of regularly practising yoga are limitless and life-changing.